Season of Creation begins
6 September 2020 All day
The idea of celebrating a Season of Creation began in the Lutheran Church in Adelaide, Australia in 2000. Now many different churches all over the world take part. In 2016 the Catholic Church joined in. The season embraces the four Sundays of September before the Feast of St Francis of Assisi – 4 October.
Norman Habel explains: “The season of Creation offers an opportunity for churches to introduce new visual elements into their worship and to be ecumenical and connected with creation in a particular context.” More information here.
Some ways of celebrating
- Check the Vatican website for Pope Francis’ Message for the World day of Prayer for the Care of Creation (1 September).
- Prepare prayers of intercession for use at Mass on the Sundays of September.
- Plan a prayer service or liturgy that embraces your local environment.
- Review the carbon footprint of your household, parish, school or organisation.
- Use the social media collateral available here.